Farm to School News
View a 7 minute video of our Fresh Food in Schools Project
THANK YOU TO OUR HARDWORKING FARMERS AND SCHOOL FOOD PROFESSIONALS FOR A SUCCESSFUL Taste WA Day on October 1st, 2014!
Find Taste Wa Day photos on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/wsff
Click here for a copy of the Taste WA Day Congressional record.
Additional Taste WA Day Resources:Taste Washington Day Booklet: Joan Qazi, our Central Washington coordinator assembled a Taste Washington Day Booklet to help school kids understand what Taste Washington Day is. Click here for a pdf of the booklet
that you are welcome to download and print.
Taste Washington 4' by 6' Wall Map: WSFFN created a 6' by 4' TASTE WASHINGTON wall map that can be hung in cafeterias to help kids understand the connection between the meal they are eating at school and where it was grown, and the farmers that grew it. Maps can be purchased from WSFFN. Contact email@example.com for more information.
WSDA's Farm to School Taste Washington Day website. There is a wonderful array of resources available from templates for signage to recipes to table tents! Check it out!
A School's Guide to Purchasing Washington Grown Food is available from WSFFN and WSDA. The guide clarifies today’s rules about how to apply a geographic preference in school food purchases and help school districts increase their use of Washington-grown food in accordance with rules and regulations at all levels of government.In the guide you will find information about:
- Regulations governing school food purchases
- USDA's Geographic Preference Option
- Washington State school food purchasing laws and using the Geographic Preference Option
- A step-by-step chart to purchase Washington grown foods
- Developing vendor qualifications, specifications and preferences to source Washington-grown
- Guidance and sample language for Washington-grown purchasing and wellness policies